Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Memorial Day Symbol

Memorial Day is a good time to spend a few moments remembering loved ones and the men and women who have served our country.

Got an interesting reminder of this today. Next to our piano are shelves that hold memorabilia and family collectibles. For instance, on one top shelf is an old kewpie doll in the shape of a Drum Majorette that I won at the Lake County, Indiana, Fair about fifty years ago. On one of the bottom shelves there's an old Kodak Box camera and a "modern" art deco clock that dates back to at least the 1930s. This afternoon when I walked in the house, my wife showed me where the shelf and all of its contents fell.

Miraculously, the Kodak seems none the worse for wear, and the clock, that hasn't kept time for twenty or more years, started ticking and is now showing the correct time! The old clock was in my boyhood home, and serves, now more than ever, as a reminder of those wonderful times and my loving parents.

1 comment:

tw3k said...

i like the sound of that old clock :)